Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Magical Place called Mirror



I reached Chiang Rai by flying from Don Muang airport in Bangkok, where I was met by Thellie and Kate, as well as Tip, Charlene and Louise (two other volunteers starting at the same time).The purpose of my going to Chiang Rai was three fold - 1) I wanted to travel 2) I wanted to volunteer with the Mirror Foundation and help the hill tribe people, and 3) I really just wanted to learn more about myself.

The Mirror Foundation is about a half an hour drive by ute or songthaow from Chiang Rai. The area is so beautiful. I'm living in the middle of the mountains, surrounded by timber and concrete houses. The people are so relaxed and friendly.



We eat together in a tiny little outdoor area where we all sit on mats on a raised concrete floor. The water is cold, there is no toilet paper (you have to buy your own if you want it), my bed is hard and the mattress is only about 3cm thick, we wash our clothes by hand, flush our toilets with buckets, and hang our clothes on a bamboo clothes line - but I love it here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment